Saturday, January 19, 2013

Community Builders

I am lucky to have been selected to be part of the community builders group. I am very happy to be part of the group. I was not sure if I wanted to be part of the ISP group because in the past, I have participated in several projects that have included working with non-profit organizations through creating my own service projects. Therefore, by being a part of community builders, I am doing something different which is exciting but also nerve-wracking. I have spent time working with children, but never in an educational context. The challenge for me will be to be able to make learning about leadership fun and educational. That's one of my goals, but I have only been able to work with youth and young adults so far. In order to better myself as a leader, I have to be able to work with various demographics. Additionally, by working with a variation of people, I can find with whom I like to work with. From there, I can start to focus on what is my passion.

I was a little intimidated listening to Mandie talking about how everything will be like with the 6th graders. For one, I have a hard time accepting criticism - even if it's constructive. The 6th graders are not afraid to let people know what they are thinking. It will be essential to take their feedback and accept it rather than be offended. Especially if it happens during class time. Additionally, there are two students with disabilities that are in our class and I haven't ever spent time working with children with disabilities. However, I know something important to remember is that they are children as well, they just might have a harder time getting some things done in comparison to one another. We just have to make sure that those kids are also involved in the activities as well.

In terms of the activities, I am not sure what to do. Of course, we have a basic lesson plan that we will use. However, at this point, I am unfair with what the level of 6th graders is! It's been a while since I have been a 6th grader or spent time with one. I am unsure if they'll like me or if I will be able to interact with them. Only time will tell though. I get to meet everyone for the first time on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment