Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Reflective Class Activity - 2/19

By the beginning of class today, we have all read the Leadership on the Line book by Ronald A. Heifetz and Marty Linsky. We have learned the ups and the downs of leadership as well as some skills in order to improve our leadership. Dr. Kittle really helped us reflect just a little further about our leadership, and I'm going to go ahead and share some of the more important questions (to me personally) with you.

Who helps you be honest with yourself?

At this point in my life, being part of "teams" are very important. I put teams in quotations because it doesn't have to include a sport. For me, yes, some people who help me be myself are my co-captains and teammates on the Ultimate Frisbee team. The other day I had a conversation with my co-captain, Kyle, about a rut that I've been in. He reminded me of why I was voted captain in the first place - because I play hard and I show up every day. I give everything I have to give to the team. My dedication helped me earn my position. I don't need to boss people around in order to be a captain. I need to remember to be myself.

Other people in some of my "teams" are my family members, people I work with, and my academic advisors. They remind me of what my goals are in life and to not be distracted by the little things. They remind me to keep on going and not be discouraged by small failures, because those are just life lessons waiting to happen. Without some of these people on my "teams," I might have lost sight of who I am and who I want to be.

What are some of your leadership weaknesses?

I don't really like to think about this topic very much. I am a person who in the big picture has had a lot of success (not to toot my own horn). I try to avoid these weaknesses while trying to succeed. However, I have learned in other leadership courses, like LS 115, that sometimes it can be beneficial to try and work on those weaknesses to be a more well-rounded leader. Being aware of these weaknesses is probably one of the more important topics those.

Some of my weaknesses:
- Constructive criticism: I hate having people tell me I am wrong when I am not ready to accept the criticism. Unfortunately, sometimes I think that people don't listen to the way that I am thinking about an issue, when the real story is that I close my mind to their ideas.
- Trust: It can seem easier to get something done on my own because I know how I want it to get down and which way it should be. However, I have to trust that other people are trying to achieve the same goal as I am and they, too, are capable of getting something done.
- Clear communication: I like it when there is clear communication. Unfortunately, I believe that I am terrible at expressive myself in a clear and concise manner. I get too wordy or forget something or explain a task in an absolutely confusing way. I have learned that sometimes by writing down directions/idea first and then saying them out loud helps me make sure to more effectively communicate some of my thoughts better. Of course, I can't do this all the time, so this will be a work in progress.

There are a few more that I could address, but it would take up too much time to list everything. I'm a hard critic of myself, so it could go on for a while!

How do I "anchor" myself?

The term of "anchor" is still a little bit abstract for me. However, my understanding of the word is what helps me/encourages me to become a better leader (or be a leader in general).
1. Goals: I am a very goal-oriented person. I like knowing where I have to go, but have the freedom to explore approaches on how to get there. Goals help me remember what I need to do rather than focusing on my position in an organization (because that can intimidate me).
2. Being in an open community where ideas are shared: I do not think that my ideas are the best ideas out there. I don't believe that one person always has the right answer either. That's why I really feel comfortable in an environment where ideas can be shared with one another in order to find the best solution/idea. I really like brainstorming and it's potential. In order for me to best formulate an idea, I need to see how other people see the issue.
3. Trust: Yes, this is in my weakness area as well. I have been able to find places where I am really comfortable with people and trust what they do. I feel that my work is more efficient when I don't have to look over my shoulder or double-check everything. I also think that promotes efficiency as well.

Alright, I think this might be it for today. There is so much more that I could say or expand on, but I think that can be another challenge for another day. Until next time, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment